Treatment for Vertical Lip Lines
By dustinheringer on September 04, 2018
When people think of signs of aging, they usually think of forehead lines, jowls, and crow’s feet. Yet the lines that form around the mouth can be a major sign of advanced age. Thankfully there are many cosmetic skin care treatments and facial rejuvenation procedures designed to address these troublesome wrinkles also known as smoker’s lines and lipstick lines.
Scottsdale, AZ plastic surgeon Dr. Dustin Heringer would like to go over some of the basics of these kinds of wrinkles. We can determine the right treatment for you during a consultation here at Arizona Ocular and Facial Plastic Surgery.
Causes of Vertical Lip Lines
There are a few common reasons why vertical lip lines form:
- The Natural Aging Process - As you get older, collagen breaks down and wrinkles and lines become more of an issue. For most people, lip lines begin to form around age 40 and become more pronounced as time goes by.
- Sun and Environmental Damage - The UV rays of the sun can take a real toll on your appearance. As your face is damaged by the sun, it can exacerbate the natural effects of aging and make lip lines more pronounced.
- Smoking/Tobacco Products - Lip lines are also called smoker’s lines for a reason. Tobacco products can make you age prematurely or exacerbate the aging of your skin. Consider this yet another reason to kick the habit.
BOTOX® Cosmetic Injections
Sometimes vertical lines are the result of select movements of the lips. That’s when BOTOX® injections can help. The BOTOX® injection will prevent muscle contractions and movements in the injection site, making the vertical lines less visible.
Dermal Filler Injections
In most cases, dermal filler injections are the way to go. Rather than stopping muscle movements, these fillers add volume to fill in lines and hollows. A combination of dermal fillers and BOTOX® injections may be used to help smooth those lip lines away.
Skin Resurfacing Options
For fine lip lines just starting to form, skin resurfacing treatments tend to be most helpful. Whether the technique involves lasers, peels, or dermabrasion, they all help remove the old layer of skin to reveal a smoother, softer, and less wrinkled underlying later of skin.
Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP)
New advances in aesthetics have led to PRP being used for cosmetic injections. PRP is derived from a patient’s own blood run through a centrifuge. This isolates the platelets in the blood, which have a number of important healing and growth properties. By injecting PRP into certain areas of the face, these platelets can help promote the growth of new collagen that naturally fills in fine lines and wrinkles.
How to Prevent Vertical Lip Lines
Here are a few tips to help prevent the formation and severity of vertical lip lines.
- Quit Smoking - As we mentioned above, the premature aging caused by tobacco products is one of many compelling reasons to quit for good. If you need help, speak with your general practitioner.
- Protect Yourself from the Sun - Since the sun does a lot of damage, there are many things you can do to protect your skin. Be sure to wear sunblock when outdoors, and to use a lip balm with UV protection. Keeping out of the sun can keep your skin looking younger, firmer, and healthier.
- Hydrate Regularly - Drinking water is great for you. It keeps the body hydrated and helps flush out toxins. Drink water throughout the day, and avoid sugary beverages.
- Eat a Healthy Diet - You are what you eat, and your skin will thank you if you eat a balanced, healthy diet. Focus on vegetables, fruits, and healthy fats. Avoid processed foods whenever possible.
Contact Arizona Ocular and Facial Plastic Surgery
To learn more about treating lip lines, be sure to contact the plastic surgery practice of Dr. Dustin Heringer. We will be more than happy to discuss all of your options for treatment in greater detail. Our offices in Scottsdale, North Scottsdale, and Peoria can all be reached by calling (480) 949-5990.
Related to This
It's hard to find a great ocular plastic surgeon; Dr Heringer is one of them.Wanda C.