Dermal Fillers vs. Facial Plastic Surgery
By dustinheringer on October 31, 2018
Gravity, environmental elements, and the passage of time can take a toll on the skin. The face is one of the first areas that shows the signs aging such as wrinkles, lines, creases, and sagging skin.
At our Scottsdale, AZ practice, we offer a number of treatments to reduce the appearance of lines and wrinkles, including facial cosmetic surgery and dermal fillers. But how can you know which treatment is right for you?
Here, our team at Arizona Ocular and Facial Plastic Surgery explores dermal fillers vs. facial plastic surgery so patients can be well-informed about their treatment options.
What Are Dermal Fillers?
Dermal fillers are non-surgical injectable treatments designed to replenish volume and fill in lines and wrinkles for a more youthful, rejuvenated look.
At our practice, two of the most popular fillers we offer are:
- JUVÉDERM® XC: Specifically formulated to smooth away creases and lines around the mouth and nose, JUVEDERM XC can reduce the appearance of vertical lip lines, smile lines, and marionette lines. JUVEDERM XC contains hyaluronic acid, which is a naturally occurring substance found in the human body.
- Restylane®: Another hyaluronic acid-based filler is Restylane. This substance is used to add volume and firmness to the skin. The gel binds moisture beneath the surface of the skin, giving it a softer, fuller appearance.
When Are Dermal Fillers Recommended?
Dermal fillers are generally recommended for patients wishing to address mild to moderate signs of aging. For example, this treatment can:
- Reduce the appearance of bags under the eyes
- Enhance cheek contours
- Plump up thin lips
- Fill out acne scars, making them blend in more with the surrounding skin
- Reduce the appearance of laugh lines and nasolabial folds
- Add volume to the cheekbones and temple areas
While dermal fillers offer dramatic results, there is a limit to what they can accomplish. In addition, treatments must be repeated every few months to maintain the desired results.
What Is Facial Plastic Surgery?
Facial plastic surgery is a broad term for any surgical procedure used to enhance the facial features. Facial cosmetic surgery involves removing excess skin and tightening the underlying muscles and tissues for a smoother, more youthful appearance. Common procedures include:
- Brow lift
- Eyelid surgery
- Facial implants
- Fat grafting
- Neck lift
- Cheek augmentation
- Chin augmentation
When Is Facial Plastic Surgery Recommended?
Plastic surgery is recommended for drooping, sagging skin that cannot be addressed with dermal fillers. Surgical intervention is typically recommended for:
- Reducing the appearance of jowls
- Removing excess fat and skin from around the neck
- Smoothing wrinkles across the forehead and between the eyebrows
- Reducing excess upper eyelid skin and the appearance of lower eyelid bags
- Eliminating deep creases between the nose and mouth
Contact Our Practice to Learn More
Both dermal fillers and facial plastic surgery have their place in cosmetic treatments. To find out which treatment option can help you achieve the results you desire, schedule a consultation at Arizona Ocular and Facial Plastic Surgery. Contact us online or call us at (480) 949-5990.
Related to This
It's hard to find a great ocular plastic surgeon; Dr Heringer is one of them.Wanda C.